Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Photo Challenge: Composition

Last week I chose to work on improving my photos by focusing on specific compositional elements. The two elements I focused on most were light and point of interest. I tried to emphasize the point of interest by using depth of field mostly, but lighting played a big role as well. Lens flares, sun spots, and rim lighting, are all things I played with to highlight my point of interest. As I looked through my camera, it was a fun to force myself to think of what I could do compositionally to push my point of interest. My shots became more thoughtful. An obvious point of interest, I realized lately, is something that is missing from many of my compositions. There's still work to be done, but it's a start to get my mind thinking that way.

(Time of day: noon)


(Time of day: just before sunset)


(Time of day: late morning)


(Time of day: just before sunset)


(Time of day: early morning)


In addition to these photos, the photo of the forgotten painting, the flower in the abandoned lot, and the wind chimes were also taken. You can see the complete set on my flickr site.


This week I was joined by Steph and my dad. They both took some awesome photos. Thanks for joining in you two!

Steph chose to focus on mostly lines and negative space.
My dad chose to focus on contrast.

Pin It

5 comments:

Sue said...

Beautiful pictures! I agree, the challenge forced me to slow down to focus on what I was trying to capture. And to think about how the camera sees, not just me. I am with you, much more practice to be done. I took pictures but wasn't pleased with my result. Its funny, sometimes company isn't not a good thing to have when taking photos.
Great job Amy!

Balbina Arias said...

lovely pics!

xoxo

Sara Therese said...

gorgeous shots! the flower is so crisp. thanks for giving me things to think about when taking pictures.

polarité said...

Very nice pictures and blog. Congratulations.

TheZealot said...

Very nice - my fave is the Flower and the Bee (movie title!), whose point of interest is cemented by contrast and short depth of field.
You're an explordinare! (I just made that word up!)